How World Sight Day has become central to GrandVision Cares
World Sight Day, which takes place annually on the second Thursday of October, has become a central part of our GrandVision Cares program over the last four years. It underscores GrandVision’s mission to improve the quality of life of even more people in the world through high-quality affordable eyecare solutions and our ambition to promote more sustainable business practices. World Sight Day is a great opportunity for our corporate offices and retail brands to give back to the communities where we are based in the form of volunteering events, organized donations, awareness campaigns and local employee engagement on the topic.
Furthermore, it supports our goal to contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), specifically SDG 3—good health and well-being.
In 2021, our retail brands across the globe participated in events linked to World Sight Day and to further promote eye health and increase eyecare accessibility. Taking the International Agency of Preventable Blindness’s 2021 World Sight Day theme “Love your eyes” to heart, several of our retail brands offered free eye tests, collected used glasses to donate to non-profit organizations and NGOs, and held compelling, educational PR campaigns.
Some of the highlights from this year’s World Sight Day included:
- Apollo Optik (Germany): Collaborated with food delivery service Hello Fresh to encourage 60,000+ people to donate second-hand glasses to our stores; These glasses were donated to nonprofit Brillen Weltweit
- Atasun Optik (Turkey): For a second year, Atasun Optik ran a 3D sound campaign to raise awareness about how blind people perceive the world; This campaign was well-supported by social media and influencers
- GrandVision Italy: Ran “Vedi responsabilmente”(“See responsibly”) campaign in stores and beyond; Partnered with auto magazine QuattroRuote to share relevant eye care/road safety information; Held slot-car racing event with Associazione Familiari e Vittime della Strada; Partnered with food delivery platform Deliveroo to give eye tests to food delivery staff
- LaFam (Colombia): Conducted eye exams for 100 children at the Mission Colombia Foundation; Donated all frames and lenses needed
- MultiOpticas (Portugal): Donated 100 euros (each) to primary school children in need living near MultiOpticas stores
Creating and further expanding our positive impact on WSD throughout the years has been a journey that we embarked on in 2019, when we established our formal global Corporate Social Responsibility program – GrandVision Cares. GrandVision Cares’ rollout and implementation has been supported by the creation of our global CSR Ambassador Community that helped us identify and mobilize our colleagues in every GrandVision retail brand across the globe.
“The work we do together for World Sight Day positively affects people across the globe in many ways,” said Darina Elencheva, Head of Corporate Social Responsibility, GrandVision. “From raising awareness about important topics like road safety to conducting eye exams for and donating glasses to people who are unable to afford them, we take a ‘roll-up-our-sleeves’ approach to giving back to the communities around us.”