Our Global Philanthropy achievements in 2019
Growing our philanthropic efforts for those who cannot afford eye care is one of our CSR Ambassador community's goals. By joining forces, we have inspired and organized multiple charitable events around the world. In 2019, we donated free eye care and eyewear in the following ways:
- Apollo Optik (Germany): Donated nearly 30,000 pieces of eyewear to Dutch NGO TwoBillionEyes Foundation. The foundation provides eyeglasses and trains local vision collaborators in underserved African communities.
- MultiOpticas (Portugal): Our Portuguese team went on a philanthropic mission to Mozambique. Read more about this program in our ‘Delivering eye care to Mozambique’ story.
- Synoptik (Denmark): For more than 10 years, the retail brand has partnered with the Danish Blind and Ghana Blind Unions. They set up an eye clinic in Accra, Ghana, which is run by local eye health specialists and receives annual visits by a Synoptik Denmark delegation. The Synoptik team gives free eye care, donates used frames collected in stores for prescription glasses fittings, and shares knowledge with local employees. This successful collaboration has benefitted more than 50,000 Ghanaians to date.
- Synoptik (Sweden): Our Swedish retail brand has partnered for years with charitable foundation Opticians Without Borders, in collaboration with Swedish aid organization Vision For All. Since 2011, they have provided customer-donated second-hand, fully-functional glasses to the organizations. In turn, the two NGOs fit more than 80,000 prescription glasses for free for people in Bolivia, Nicaragua, Peru and Guatemala.
- GrandVision Headquarters (The Netherlands): Our HQ donated nearly 57,000 frames, ready readers and sunglasses to Medico Lions Clubs Belgium. These donations are given to people who need eyewear in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Burundi.
- Óptica2000 and MasVision (Spain): These retail brands donated more than 1,000 pairs of glasses to optometry clinic Centro Universitario de la Vision, part of university Facultad de Optica y Optometria de Terrassa. The donations allow students to practice their technical skills, as they donated free eye tests and prescription glasses to more than 2,000 people throughout 2019.